Social Puppy class teaches foundation, socialization, and off-leash play skills for puppies that are 8-16 weeks of age at the start of class, to help them grow into well-adjusted adult dogs. Establish a compassionate base of communication for your puppy and your family, get answers to your questions, and build your puppy’s confidence through positive training games […]
Training is important but should also be fun for everyone involved! My classroom is a judgment-free zone where you can safely admit what you do or do not know, describe what you have already tried, ask questions, and practice new skills. Scroll down to see descriptions of each class; click on title for additional information.
NEWS FOR 2018: Group class offerings, by necessity, will be somewhat more infrequent this year. Please register early to ensure your place in a session. However, I will have slightly more availability for private lessons at St. Mark's church, which cost less than private lessons in home.
Click on any of the titles below for additional information. Group classes are for dogs that are both people and dog friendly and up to date (for their age) on core vaccines. Pre-registration and proof of vaccination/titers is required for all classes. Equipment allowed: flat buckle or martingale collars, 4-6 foot leash, harnesses, and head collars only, please. Children that are 5 years and older are welcome but must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18.
Indoor classes will be at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 75 Cold Spring Road, Westford. Please contact me, not the church, with any questions. Payment can be made online via this website or by cash or check at the beginning of the first class. Payment is non-refundable once class has begun. Up to two make-ups will be accommodated within the session or by the end of the next available session, but consistent attendance is strongly recommended for the best success. Time is particularly important with regard to socialization - tic toc!
2018 Spring Sessions: Register here
- Please see the Tips for Training document in the Resource Center before coming to your first class
- Social Puppy 1 & 2:
- Wednesdays at 5:20pm for 5 consecutive weeks
- Register to start on 3/21, 4/4, 4/18, 5/2, or 5/16
- No classes 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 5/9
- Last class before summer break is 6/13; classes will resume in September
- Shy Puppy:
- As needed, for puppies under 7 months old - contact me if not already in Social Puppy
- Wednesdays, by prearrangement with me, limited enrollment - next one possibly 3/27
- Smart Puppy:
- Tuesdays at 6:30pm starting 3/20 (FULL), or 5/15
- NEW: Wednesday at 6:30pm starting 3/28 - focus on small and/or shy dogs - session is limited to 5 dogs
- Next sessions start in September, TBD
- Obedience Level 1:
- Tuesdays at 7:40pm starting 3/20
- Next session TBD
- Obedience Level 2:
- Tuesdays at 7:40pm starting 5/15
- Next session TBD
- Game On! (single night class):
- Wednesday at 7:45pm on 2/21
- Wednesday at 7:45pm on 4/25 or 6/20
- Private and semi-private lessons:
- Half and full hour private and semi-private lessons at St. Mark's are also available, on a limited basis, on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. See Private Services for cost. Please contact me directly if you are interested.
This session is designed for puppies 4-6 months of age to continue to work on skills started in Social Puppy 1 – or to get you started now! Puppies at this age are transitioning into adolescence, gaining strength and endurance, and their play style with both dogs and humans is changing accordingly. Particular attention is […]
Age-appropriate basic obedience for dogs under 15 months old, with a focus on how to survive your dog’s adolescence! Start/continue your pup on the path to better manners, stronger attention, and a deeper relationship with you. Using the clicker as a marker signal, we work on basic cues such as sit, down, hand targeting, stay, […]
Learn how to positively, effectively communicate with your dog to build better manners, stronger attention, and a deeper relationship with you. Using clicker as a marker signal, we solidify basic cues such as sit, down, hand targeting, stay, come, and loose leash walking, plus strengthens foundation behaviors such as attention, focus, and patience. Learn to […]
Learn new skills and how to strengthen existing skills in more “real world” situations using marker-based positive reinforcement. Special attention is paid to individual participants’ goals, so curriculum varies accordingly, making each session somewhat unique. Planned exercises and games strengthen skills included in the AKC Canine Good Citizen test – sit for greetings and petting, […]
Come test your training progress with these engaging group games! Each game is designed to test one or more skills in a seriously fun way. Between games we review the results and identify exercises in order to concentrate future training efforts. Games will vary from class to class but always cover a range of skills, […]